Welcome to Marion, Alabama
Marion is primarily known as the home of Judson College and Marion Military Institute (MMI), but these famous schools are but one facet of this history-rich community. In Marion, you will find many historic sites in addition to Judson and MMI and most of them are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Historic sites listed individually on the National Register include The Chapel and Lovelace Hall at Marion Military Institute, First Congregational Church of Marion, the Henry House, Marion Female Seminary, Phillips Memorial Auditorium, the President’s House at Marion Military Institute, and Siloam Baptist Church. Marion has one National Historic Landmark, Kenworthy Hall. Additionally, Marion has four historic districts on the National Register – the Green Street Historic District, Judson College Historic District, Marion Courthouse Square Historic District, and the West Marion Historic District. These historic districts contain 280 contributing properties which include historic homes, churches, public buildings, and other structures.
Provided below are details about some of the historic sites that you will find in Marion. Click on the sites for additional pictures and details. These sites are also marked on the map above. Zoom in on the map for better viewing.
For additional details about the history of Marion, visit wikipedia.org/Marion,_Alabama.
The first issue of The Alabama Baptist newspaper was published on February 4, 1843 in Marion, AL. This building, built as an office building in the early 1830s, was used for printing and distribution of The Alabama Baptist newspaper from 1843-1852. T …learn more
The Alabama Women’s Hall of Fame honors the achievements of outstanding women from Alabama. Established in 1970, the first women were inducted the following year. The AWHOF became a state agency by an act of the Alabama legislature in 1975. The museum …learn more
This Vermont Colonial-style house was built by the Bates family circa 1830. This two-story structure was originally constructed of hand-hewn logs that are now covered with weatherboards. The house has a basement where the logs can still be seen. The ki …learn more
This church was built by freed slaves in 1873, Berean is an offspring of Siloam Baptist Church. Siloam and local Baptists gave $1000 for the building of the Berean. Berean was an important site for civil rights meetings in the sixties. This church is l …learn more
This home was built for Edward A. Blount and his wife, Mary, between 1853 and 1859. In January 1852, the Blount’s bought three lots at the location of this house for $26, $40 and $20. A clear title was granted for this property in January 1853 when the …learn more
During the Civil War, Breckinridge Military Hospital was established at Howard College in Marion (now the campus of Marion Military Institute). Soldiers who died at the hospital were first buried behind the campus. In 1872, the Ladies Memorial Associat …learn more
Thought to have been built around 1890, this was the office of the dentist, Dr. William Wilson Corley. He sold it in 1906 to another dentist, Dr. J. P Haley who practiced here until his death in 1956. Dr. Patrick Haley, Jr. practiced with his father fr …learn more
The date 1863 was found scratched into a brick on the east wall. According to local tradition, the earliest occupant was a lawyer who used the top floor as his dwelling and the bottom floor as his office. The Marion Standard newspaper was published in …learn more
This building, built around 1830, is one of Marion’s earliest hotels. It is thought to be the place where General Sam Houston stayed when he came to Marion to marry Margaret Lea in 1840. This building is included in Marion’s Green Street Historical D …learn more
Elmcrest, built ca. 1838, is the oldest building on the Judson College campus. In 1851, Judge John Moore purchased this home from Samuel Fowlkes and remodeled it as a wedding gift for his bride, Emily Billingslea. Judge Moore was a captain in the Con …learn more
This church congregation was established in 1869 at the Lincoln School by freed slaves and representatives of the American Missionary Association. The church building was completed in 1871. It is the oldest and most unaltered of the churches built by A …learn more
This house was built by Edwin D. King as a wedding present for his daughter Sarah when she married John Goree in May 1831. At that time it had four rooms and a big hall downstairs and two rooms upstairs on the front. There were two staircases, one in t …learn more