This home, also referred to as the Dean’s House, was built around 1904 for T. D. and Leila Rush Kemp. The original house was a one-story frame building with additions made to it later. Mr. Kemp, who was an engineer, established the Marion Light and Power Company, which provided the first electricity in Marion. The Kemp’s two sons, T. D. Jr. and James Hal grew up in this house. Hal became focused on music early in life. His musical successes led to a career as a big band leader that earned him national and international recognition. Hal Kemp was among the most popular bandleaders of the 1930s, scoring a long string of dance band hits. He was a rival to Guy Lombardo and Sammy Kaye, among others. In 1992, Hal Kemp was inducted into the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame.
Judson College purchased the Kemp home in 1955. Since then, it has been the residence for the academic deans of Judson, thus the name “the Dean’s House”. This house is a contributing property to the Judson Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 3, 1993. It is located at the intersection of Troupe Street and Bibb Street at Marion, AL (GPS coordinates 32.629606, -87.316923).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: The Perry County Historical Society.