During the Civil War, Breckinridge Military Hospital was established at Howard College in Marion (now the campus of Marion Military Institute). Soldiers who died at the hospital were first buried behind the campus. In 1872, the Ladies Memorial Association of Marion had the remains of the 77 soldiers exhumed and re-interred in St. Wilfrid’s Cemetery located behind St. Wilfrid’s Episcopal Church. A redwood tree was planted as a living memorial to the fallen soldiers.
The St. Wilfrid’s Church and Cemetery are contributing properties to the Marion Courthouse Square Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Wilfrid’s is located at 102 Clements Street in Marion (GPS coordinates 32.635583,-87.318611.)
Sources: 1) NRHP “Marion Courthouse Square Historic District” Registration Form; 2) Perry County Heritage, Volume II