Methodists had their beginnings in Marion in 1819. Prior to the construction of the present church building, the Methodist congregation used the Masonic Temple for their services. In 1879, the Methodists started raising funds to build their own church. In 1882, church records state that work was progressing rapidly on the new church. The first service in the new church was held Sunday, January 23, 1887.
This High Victorian Gothic-style building consists of a large two story brick building with a four-story tower on its northwest corner. The corner tower has a louvered belfry and slender octagonal spine. This is one of only a few High Victorian Gothic-style churches in Alabama that still has its original multicolored, or “polychromatic”, slate roof. Also, this church still has most of its original medieval-style stained-glass windows.
This church is a contributing property to the Marion Courthouse Square Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located near downtown Marion at the intersection of Washington Street and Monroe Street (GPS coordinates 32.634524, -87.319029).
Sources: 1) PerryCountyAlabamaChamber.com; 2) Perry County Heritage Vol. II; 3) NRHP “Marion Courthouse Square Historic District” Registration Form.