The Marion Presbyterian Church was organized on July 30, 1832. The present building was constructed in the 1870’s using Norman-style architecture and dedicated on December 30, 1877. (At that time, Mrs. M. C. Rankin planted the magnolia tree that is located in front of the church.) The sanctuary today remains very much as it was when built. A Pilcher Sons pipe organ was installed in 1896. In 1902, large brass chandeliers were installed to replace the kerosene hanging chandeliers. A dividing partition remains between the center pews and is a reminder of the early custom of requiring men and women to sit separately during a worship service.
Marion, AL has four multiple properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places: the Marion Courthouse Square Historical District, the West Marion Historical District, the Green Street Historical District and the Judson College Historic District. This church is a contributing property to the Judson College Historic District.
This church is located on the east side of Washington Street near downtown Marion, AL. (GPS coordinates 32.631246, -87.318840).
Sources: 1) Perry County Heritage, Volume II; 2) The National Register’s Judson College Historical District Document