In 1821, just two years after Alabama became a state, John Johnston purchased land from the Federal Government for a home. Shortly afterward, this framed cottage type house was built of long leaf yellow pine which was growing in the vicinity. The lumber was hand hewn and hand sawn to build a story and a half frame cottage. There were four rooms downstairs, two rooms upstairs and a half basement. The basement was dug out of red clay and the clay used for brick to build the foundation and chimneys. Some years later the kitchen which was in the yard was added to the house with a small room between.
This house is a contributing property to the “West Marion Historic District” that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at 505 West Clay in Marion (GPS coordinates 32.627524, -87.327364).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) NRHP “West Marion Historic Street” Registration Form; 2) Perry County Heritage, Volume II, prepared by The Book Committee and Friends of the Perry County Historical and Preservation Society.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.