The date 1863 was found scratched into a brick on the east wall. According to local tradition, the earliest occupant was a lawyer who used the top floor as his dwelling and the bottom floor as his office. The Marion Standard newspaper was published in this building prior to 1918. In the early 1920s, it was used temporarily as the United States Post Office. Marshall-Pope Grocery Company, which was located next door, used the building in various ways including for storage and as a grist mill. It was used for a short time as a one-lane bowling alley. Dr. T. J. Jones purchased the building in 1945 and used it for his doctor’s office until 1956. After being purchased by Mildred Wagon Davis in 1956, the building was used as a law office for a number of different attorneys. During recent renovations, a balcony was added to the second floor of the building.
This building is a contributing property to the Marion Courthouse Square Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at downtown Marion on Green Street on the north side of the Perry County Courthouse (GPS coordinates 32.63351,-87.318487).
Sources: 1) Perry County Heritage Vol. II; 2) NRHP “Marion Courthouse Square Historic District” Registration Form
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.