The first issue of The Alabama Baptist newspaper was published on February 4, 1843 in Marion, AL. This building, built as an office building in the early 1830s, was used for printing and distribution of The Alabama Baptist newspaper from 1843-1852. The building was originally located across from the Siloam Baptist Church. In 1997, it was moved to the campus of Judson College and restored. This building is a contributing property to the “Judson College” Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at the corner of Dekalb Street and Bibb Street in Marion, AL (GPS coordinates 32.628829, -87.316467).
Members of Siloam Baptist Church in Marion and the Alabama Baptist Convention founded Judson College for women in 1838 and Howard College for men in 1841 (later relocated to Birmingham and renamed Samford University). The Alabama Baptist newspaper was founded in 1843 in Marion by Baptist leaders to publicize the work of the church. In 1919, The Alabama Baptist was purchased by the Alabama Baptist State Convention and the newspaper is now published in Birmingham as an entity of ABSC.
Source: 1) PerryCountyAlabamaChamber.com; 2) The Alabama Baptist Historical Marker (located at the Alabama Baptist Building)