This dwelling, also referred to as the Ballard-Haynie-Barnes House, is thought to have been built around 1845. It is a two-story, hipped roof structure with a full height gallery with balcony. The house features decorative saw-work columns and railings on its facade, similar to what’s found on the old City Hall building located on the Marion Military Institute campus, the Peters home on DeKalb Street, and the Cocke-Gibler home on Hamburg Road. The Nave family was the first family known to own the house. Later occupants were the Ballard, Haynie, Giardina and Pritchett families. Restored by the Billy Pritchett family, the house was sold in 1980 to the James M. Barnes family.
This house is a contributing property to the Marion Courthouse Square Historic District that listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at 209 Centreville Street in Marion (GPS coordinates 32.638015, -87.321215).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Perry County Heritage, Volume II, prepared by The Book Committee and Friends of the Perry County Historical and Preservation Society; 2) NRHP “Marion Courthouse Square Historic Street” Registration Form.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.