This church congregation was established in 1869 at the Lincoln School by freed slaves and representatives of the American Missionary Association. The church building was completed in 1871. It is the oldest and most unaltered of the churches built by African-Americans in Marion. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on December 17, 1982. It is also a contributing property to the West Marion Historic District that’s listed on the NRHP.
This church is located on 601 Clay Street in Marion (32°37’39.3″N 87°19’42.5″W – Google Maps).
Sources: 1) NRHP “First Congregational Church of Marion” Registration Form; 2) NRHP “West Marion Historic District” Registration Form; 2) “First Congregational Church of Marion” Historical Marker (located in front of the church).