This home, built circa 1856, was owned and probably constructed by David Lockhart. It has plain woodwork and mantels, simple pine stair rail and newel post, and peaked ceilings in the back downstairs rooms. The house has been retained in its original structural form with the exception of the kitchen, which until 1930, was connected to the main house by a latticed porch. It is a good example of early Southern antebellum architecture. This house is included in the West Marion Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
The Lockhart-Shivers house is located on the north side of DeKalb Street approximately 0.3 mile west of the intersection of DeKalb Street and Washington Street near downtown Marion (GPS coordinates 32.628881, -87.324516).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: Perry County Heritage Vol. II