This is one of Marion’s oldest homes thought to have been built around 1819. It is a raised cottage which is rare in the Black Belt, and is most often associated with homes along the Gulf Coast. General Edward B. King resided in this house prior to the Civil War. He played a major role in the area’s development. King served as a trustee for the University of Alabama and a member of the board of directors of the Marion Female Seminary and he was one of the founders of Judson College.
Marion, AL has four Historic Districts on the National Register of Historic Places which includes around 70 antebellum buildings. This antebellum home is included in the West Marion Historic District. It located at 309 Clay Street in Marion, AL (GPS coordinates N32.627556,W87.324500).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Click here to access additional historic sites at Marion, AL.