This Greek Revival style house was built in 1854 by E. H. Bernhard and his wife, the former Eugenia Howard Lockhart. It has a central portico balcony, and four octagonal columns. This L-shaped house has a central staircase and a servant’s staircase that connects the rear upstairs and downstairs bedrooms. There are sliding double doors between the parlor and the formal dining room. This home is a contributing property to the West Marion Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
This home is located on the north side of DeKalb Street approximately 0.2 mile west of the intersection of DeKalb Street and Washington Street near downtown Marion (GPS coordinates 32.629021,-87.32293).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Perry County Heritage, Vol. II, 2) NRHP “West Marion Historic District” Registration Form.
Pictures courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.