Kenworthy Hall, also known as the Carlisle-Martin House and Carlisle Hall, was designed by New York architect, Richard Upjohn, and is one of the best preserved examples of his distinctive asymmetrical Italian villa style. It is the only surviving residential example of Upjohn’s Italian villa style that was especially designed to suit the Southern climate and the plantation lifestyle. It has a massive four-story tower, arched windows with brownstone trim, and a distinctly Southern division of family and public spaces. This home was constructed from 1858 to 1860 for Edward Kenworthy Carlisle as his primary family residence and the centerpiece of his 440-acre estate.
Kenworthy was recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1934. It, along with some of its surrounding structures, was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1990 and declared a National Historic Landmark (NHL) in 2004. The house and a purported ghost are featured as a short story in Kathryn Tucker Windham’s “13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey”.
Kenworthy Hall is on the north side of Alabama Highway 14 approximately two miles west of the Marion courthouse square. (GPS coordinates 32.635163, -87.352260).
This home is located up a private driveway and is not visible from Highway 14.
The slider at the top contains 10 pictures of Kenworthy. B&W photographs are courtesy the U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: W. M. Manning, date: April 3, 1934.
Sources: 1) Wikipedia; 2) NRHP “Kenworthy Hall” Registration Form; 3) NHL “Kenworthy Hall” Nomination Form.