Clarke County has a history as rich as the soil along the banks of the Tombigbee and Alabama Rivers which form its boundaries. The county’s history began long before Alabama’s statehood. Hundreds of years before white settlers came here, Indians in the area of what is now Tallahatta Springs near Thomasville fashioned arrowheads and spear points from the tallahatta stone and traded them for other foods with other tribes from across the area.
The Mississippi territorial legislature created Clarke County on December 10, 1812. It was named for General John Clarke of Georgia. A county seat was not established until 1820, when it was located in the now-defunct town of Clarksville. In 1831 the county seat was moved to its present site, Grove Hill.
Native Americans played a pivotal role in the county’s early history. Claimed by both the Creek and Choctaw Indians, the area was a hotbed of activity during the Creek War.
The county was also known for its role during the Civil War. The salt produced from the county’s three natural salt springs was shipped all over the south. Gunboats were also constructed here.
This beautiful 2 1/2 story, Queen Anne style home was built in 1894 by Rev. S. A. “Soc” Adams who was a Baptist minister, architect, and building contractor. Rev. Adams served as the pastor of the Jackson First Baptist Church from 1889 until 1912 and a …learn more
The Airmount Grave Shelter, also known as the Hope Family Grave Shelter, is a Greek Revival structure located in the Airmount Cemetery near Thomasville, Alabama. It was built in 1853 by John Hope. The unusual splayed eaves and vaulted, or “compass” int …learn more
This marker is located in south Clarke County approximately 11 miles south of Jackson, AL on Co. Rd. 15 (Rockville Rd.) at the entrance to the Fred T. Stimpson Wildlife Sanctuary (GPS coordinates 31.382654, -87.849970). It was erected by the Clarke Cou …learn more
The Bush house is a historic home in Grove Hill, Alabama. The two-story Colonial Revival style house was built in 1912. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 28, 1999. It was listed due to its architectural significance as …learn more
This is one of the finest illustrations of the Queen Anne style homes that are located in Jackson. The house’s complex roof features jerkinhead or clipped gables on the side elevations. It has additional regular gables projecting from each side, coveri …learn more
This 2 ½ – story home was built circa 1904 for Dr. and Mrs. W. P. Cannady by Lionel Erastus “Ras” McLeod. Ras built many homes in Jackson. Later his son, Dr. Henry Marvin McLeod married Helen, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Cannady. They lived in this house …learn more
This historical marker is located west of Thomasville on County Road 48 near the Bashi community (GPS coordinates N31.970778,W87.830889). It describes the location of the boundary that was between the Choctaw and Creek Indians in Clarke County and how …learn more
This historical marker is located beside Commerce Street in front of the James E. Arrington City Hall Complex near downtown Jackson (GPS coordinates 31.507745, -87.895886). The marker was erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the city of Jackso …learn more
The Clarke County Historical Museum opened in 1986 as a project of the Clarke County Historical Society. It is located at downtown Grove Hill, AL in the Alston-Cobb House which was built in 1854. The museum contains a treasure of southwest Alabama hist …learn more
This is one of only a few wood frame, free-standing gable front, commercial buildings that remain in Clarke County. It was built around 1890 by David “Dave” Daniel Coleman. He used the building as a general store until his death in 1921. His sons, L. L …learn more
Creagh Law Office at Grove Hill, AL (built ca. 1834, now part of the Clarke County Historical Museum and home of the Grove Hill Area Chamber of Commerce)
This office was built circa 1834 by Judge John Gates Creagh who was an attorney, commissioner, county treasurer, judge of county orphans court and state legislator. It was originally located on Lot 15 Court Street in Grove Hill facing the county court …learn more
Damsite West Bank is a small park that is owned and managed by the U. S. Corp of Engineers. It is located northwest of Gosport, AL on the west bank of the Claiborne Lock & Dam. This is a favorite fishing spot for locals, especially for catfish. T …learn more