The Dickinson House is a historic two-story Italianate style home at Grove Hill, AL. It was built circa 1845. The architect is believed to have been an English-born carpenter named James Newman. The house was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on January 1, 1978 and to the National Register of Historic Places on September 13, 1978. It was listed due to its architectural significance as an early example of the influence of the Italianate Style during an era when the Greek Revival prevailed. The most elaborate of the Italianate details is the round-arched doorway with its intricate carved fanlight. Other notable features include paired windows, finely carved brackets, an octagonal parlor, and a circular stairway. Originally, a full-width porch extended across the facade, though neither the style of the porch, the number of stories, nor the date of removal is known. This house has been kept in good condition, and except for rear additions and the removal of the front porch, it maintains its original appearance.
This home is located on Dickinson Avenue near downtown Grove Hill, AL (GPS coordinates N31.710097,W87.772721).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Wikipedia; 2) NRHP “Dickinson House” Nomination Form
CLICK HERE to access additional historic & interesting places in rural SW Alabama.