This 2 ½ – story home was built circa 1904 for Dr. and Mrs. W. P. Cannady by Lionel Erastus “Ras” McLeod. Ras built many homes in Jackson. Later his son, Dr. Henry Marvin McLeod married Helen, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Cannady. They lived in this house and raised their 10 children here.
The front facade of this house has a double veranda with a balustrade, turned posts, comer brackets and a spindled frieze; the first tier of the veranda wraps around one side elevation. In the first tier area is a 3-sided bay, a single door flanked by narrow windows and, on the side elevation, two more single entrances. A small dormer projects from each side of the roof.
This home is a contributing property to the Jackson Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on January 23, 1998. It is located in Jackson on College Avenue at the intersection of College Avenue and Rose Street (Google Maps).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) NRHP “Jackson Historic District” Registration Form; 2) Janet McLeod Windsor (great granddaughter of Dr. & Mrs. Cannady).