Hearin-Armistead House at Grove Hill, AL (built ca. 1843, listed on the NRHP)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This 1 1/2 story, 5 bay wide, Greek Revival house has a recessed, front porch and a side gable roof with returns. The full width porch has six square wood columns and a balustrade. The single-leaf entrance is surrounded by sidelights and transom and pilasters. Originally, the front entrance may have been double-leafed. The house has two interior chimneys and a rear wing.

Thomas Hearin purchased this lot on August 18, 1842 and built his house in 1843. He was the son of Robert Hearin who came to Clarke County in January 1817 from South Carolina. The title to Hearin’s Clarke County property was transferred to James S. Dickinson in 1861 to settle a business deal. James’ son, Richard C. Dickinson, became the owner of the Hearin house. Upon his death, it was left to his two minor children, Leila and Clarence. The children’s guardian sold the house at public auction to Dr. James W. Armistead (1860-1928) on December 22, 1886. The house remained in the Armistead family until the late twentieth century.

This house is a contributing property to the Grove Hill Courthouse Square Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on April 30, 1998. The house is located on the north side of Cobb Street at the intersection of Cobb and Court Street at downtown Grove Hill (GPS coordinates 31.710011, -87.778026).

This is a private residence – drive by only.

Source: NRHP “Grove Hill Courthouse Square Historic District” Registration Form.

Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.

Tags: , , , , ,