This church was founded in 1819 by Rev. Joshua Wilson. In 1854, a two-story building was built on this site. The lower floor was a church and the upper floor served as a Masonic lodge. This building was damaged by a tornado in 1911. It was rebuilt immediately as a single story building using much of the material from the original building. The Gainestown United Methodist Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 28, 1999, due to its architectural significance.
This church is located on the west side of CR 29 at Gainestown approximately 0.2 mile south of the intersection of CR29 and CR33 (GPS coordinates 31.442417,-87.693806)
Source: Clarke County Historical Museum