Advanced Search

Close Search

Featured

The Old Monroe County Courthouse at Monroeville, AL (home of To Kill A Mockingbird)

The Old Monroe County Courthouse, completed in 1904, was designed by the prominent Southern architect Andrew Bryan. The courthouse gained national fame when Monroeville’s own, Harper Lee, in 1960 published the Pulitzer prize-winning novel, To Kill a Mockingbird. In her book To Kill a Mockingbird, the fictional town of Maycomb is modeled on Monroeville, AL […]

Gaineswood at Demopolis, AL (began as a “dogtrot” cabin in 1843, completed on eve of Civil War)

Between 1843 and the outbreak of the Civil War, Gaineswood evolved from a two-room “dogtrot” cabin into a Greek Revival style mansion.  General Nathan Bryan Whitfield, the builder, was his own architect, though he had no formal training.  The labor was done mostly by slaves, some of whom were extremely accomplished carpenters and plasterers.  Three […]

St. Wilfrid’s Episcopal Church at Marion, AL (built 1908, listed on the NRHP)

Originally organized as St. Michael’s Parish, the church became St. Wilfrid’s in 1853. The present church building is the third one located at this site. It was built in 1908. Located behind the church is a historic cemetery that contains 77 graves of soldiers who died at the Breckenridge Hospital on Howard College campus (now […]

1830s Mathews Cabin (at the Clarke County Historical Museum) at Grove Hill, AL

The Mathews Cabin was built in the 1830s by pioneers Josiah and Lucy Martin Mathews, who came to Clarke County from South Carolina.  By 1840, there were 13 family members and two slaves living in this cabin.  In 2005, the Clarke County Historical Society purchased this log cabin.  With the assistance of many volunteers, it […]

Chilatchee Creek Campground at Gee’s Bend, AL

Alabama has many beautiful rivers and lakes and the US Army Corp of Engineers has several parks and campgrounds that allow you the perfect opportunity to enjoy them. One of these is Chilatchee Creek which is a small campground that is remotely located in the northern part of Wilcox County on Chilatchee Creek. The park […]

Rooster Hall at Demopolis, AL (built 1843, listed on the NRHP)

This is one of the oldest buildings in Demopolis. It was built in 1843 by the Presbyterians of Demopolis using locally-made bricks. It served as their sanctuary until after the Civil War. During the reconstruction period, a garrison of Federal troops, stationed in Demopolis, moved the county seat from Linden, AL, and used this building for […]

Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge at UWA Campus in Livingston, AL (built 1861)

The Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge, built in 1861, is one of the oldest covered bridges still existing in Alabama. It was originally constructed over the Sucarnoochee River by Confederate Army Captain William Alexander Campbell Jones on the main state road leading from Livingston to York, now U.S. Route 11. It was built using hand-hewn yellow pine […]

Auburn Rural Studio at Newbern, AL

Established in 1993 by architects Samuel “Sambo” Mockbee and D. K. Ruth, the Rural Studio is a part of Auburn University’s School of Architecture.  The Rural Studio is located in rural west Alabama in the small town of Newbern in Hale County.  Rural Studio students work directly with poor communities in west Alabama to improve […]

White Cliffs of Epes, AL

These white cliffs are located on the Tombigbee River at Epes AL.  They are part of the Selma Chalk formations which were deposited at about the same time as England’s famous white cliffs of Dover.  The cliffs at Epes are stunning in their own way as illustrated by the pictures that are provided.  These pictures were […]

St. Andrews Church at Gallion, AL (built 1853-1854, listed on the NRHP)

St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, also known as St. Andrew’s Church, is a small Carpenter Gothic style church built in 1853-1854. It appears to have been built from a design in the book, Rural Architecture by architect Richard Upjohn. The exterior of the church features wooden buttresses. The interior walls of the church are reportedly stained […]

Reverie at Marion, AL (built ca. 1858, listed on the NRHP)

Reverie is a historic Greek Revival mansion that was built circa 1858.  It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as a contributing property to the West Marion Historic District and was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey.  It is featured in Ralph Hammond’s Antebellum Mansions of Alabama, Gregory Hatcher’s Reverie […]

Old Selma Depot Museum at Selma, AL (building built ca. 1890, listed on the NRHP)

The Old Depot Museum is located at the old L&N Railroad Depot at the end of historic Water Avenue in downtown Selma. The Depot building was built on the site of the Confederate Naval Foundry which was destroyed by Federal troops during the Battle of Selma in 1865.  The red brick, stone trimmed building of Romanesque […]

Rikard’s Mill Historical Park near Beatrice, AL

Rikard’s Mill Historical Park is owned and operated by the Monroe County Heritage Museums (MCHM). The park is located on Flat Creek near Beatrice, AL in Monroe County. The main feature of the park is Rikard’s Mill which is a water-powered grist mill. Jacob “Jake” Rikard (1806-1880) built his first grist mill at this location […]

Kirkwood at Eutaw, AL (late 1850s, listed on the NRHP.)

Kirkwood is a historic plantation home in Eutaw, Alabama. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on May 17, 1976 and was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1935. This is a Greek Revival style house with Italianate influences. Foster M. Kirksey began building the house in 1858. Construction was halted […]

Latest Attractions

Newbern Baptist Church at Newbern, AL (built 1849)

The Newbern Baptist Church was organized in 1848.  The following year, the congregation built this two-story church.  The upper floor has a large meeting room that was built for the Masons, many of whom belonged to the church.  The four large Doric columns that support the roof over the front porch are made of solid [...]

More Info

Dr. Zeno House at Pine Apple, AL (ca. 1912, listed on the NRHP)

This is a two-story hipped roof house with a one-story rear ell. Features of the house include a recessed front porch on monumental paneled battered piers, a rounded attached north side porch on piers similar to the front porch, second story cantilevered balconies centered under the porches, and first and second story front doors with [...]

More Info

First Congregational Church of Marion at Marion, AL (built 1871, listed on the NRHP)

This church congregation was established in 1869 at the Lincoln School by freed slaves and representatives of the American Missionary Association. The church building was completed in 1871. It is the oldest and most unaltered of the churches built by African-Americans in Marion. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) [...]

More Info

Goree-Shivers House at Marion, AL (built ca. 1831, listed on the NRHP)

This house was built by Edwin D. King as a wedding present for his daughter Sarah when she married John Goree in May 1831. At that time it had four rooms and a big hall downstairs and two rooms upstairs on the front. There were two staircases, one in the hall and a corner staircase [...]

More Info

Andrews Chapel at McIntosh, AL (built ca. 1860, listed on the NRHP)

Andrews Chapel, also known as the McIntosh Log Church, is one of the few remaining log churches in Alabama.  In 1860, John C. Rush and his wife donated land for the church to the McIntosh Community.  Shortly afterwards, the church was constructed and named for James O. Andrews, a bishop in the Methodist Church.  The [...]

More Info

Newbern Fire Station at Newbern, AL (built by Rural Studio Students)

The Newbern Fire Station was designed and constructed by four fifth year architecture students at Auburn University’s Rural Studio. This 4,000 sq. ft. building was completed in 2005. The structure was designed to require little or no maintenance. It is clad in pine and translucent polycarbonate, with south-facing horizontal cedar slats to provide shade in [...]

More Info

Myatt House at Marion, AL (built ca. 1845, listed on the NRHP)

Located in the Green Street Historic District, this is a two-story, Federal-Greek Revival style home with a three-bay façade. The central full height pedimented portico has boxed returns and a balcony. The two central single leaf entrances have full multipane transoms and sidelights. The house was remodeled circa 1850. This home is a contributing property [...]

More Info

Underwood-Cox House at Marion, AL (built ca. 1847, listed on the NRHP)

Located in the Green Street Historic District, this Greek Revival cottage has small ornate columns with saw-work details on the porches. The house has a double-door front entrance that’s surrounded by a full width transom and sidelights. Around 1870, a wing was added on the back of the house. This home is a contributing property [...]

More Info

Webb-Bonds House at Greensboro, AL (built ca. 1855, listed on the NRHP)

This beautiful antebellum home was constructed circa 1855 for Col. Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus DeYampert as a gift to his daughter, Julia, and her husband, John Henry Young Webb. It is a two-story structure that contains a hipped roof with heavily bracketed cornice. The front of the house has a full portico supported by six large [...]

More Info