Advanced Search

Close Search

Burnt Corn, AL (old settlement on the historic Federal Road)

Burnt Corn is located between Monroeville, AL and Evergreen, AL on the historic Old Federal Road. Burnt Corn began as a trading post settlement at an intersection of Indian trails on the “Old Wolf Path” when this area was still Creek Indian territory. In 1798, the United States formed the Mississippi Territory which included a large portion of present day Alabama and Mississippi. When the United States purchased the Louisiana Territory from France in 1803, an access route was needed to this new territory. In 1805, the U.S. Government got the Creek Nation to give permission for a “horse path” through the Creek Nation. This “horse path” included the “Old Wolf Trail” which ran through Burnt Corn. The “horse path” became the Old Federal Road which served as a major thoroughfare for western migration of settlers. Burnt Corn is one of the oldest settlements in this area of Alabama. U.S. postal service to Burnt Corn began in 1817 when the Alabama Territory was established. A school, the “Students’ Retreat,” was organized in 1820, followed by a Baptist church in 1821. Burnt Corn was a thriving community in the early twentieth century. Today, many of the buildings in Burnt Corn are still intact. Provided are pictures of Burnt Corn. Captions on the pictures provide additional details.

Note: The Battle of Burnt Corn, which began the Creek War in July 1813, did not occur at Burnt Corn, but at a ford of Burnt Corn Creek located approximately 20 miles to the south, in present-day Escambia County, AL.

Source: www.burntcorn.com

Similar Attractions

Peterman, AL – Falkenberry Log Cabin (built 1840’s)

This log cabin is located beside the old depot to Peterman, AL. It was built by Deason Falkenberry (1825-1864) on the Coon Trail near Tunnel Springs. The cabin was donated to the Peterman Historical Society in 2008 by the Floyd Family in memory of Bertha Lee and Charley Ford and moved to its present location. […]

More Info

William B. Travis House at Perdue Hill, AL (ca. 1820)

This small 2-room cottage was built circa 1820 at Claiborne, AL. It was the home of William B. Travis while he resided at Claiborne and practiced law under the Hon. James Dellet. In 1831, Travis at the age of 22 left Claiborne for Texas where he practiced law and became involved in the Texas Revolution. […]

More Info

Burnt Corn Methodist Church at Burnt Corn, AL (c. 1913, listed on the Alabama Register)

The Burnt Corn Methodist Church congregation was established in 1913. Their church is a one-story frame structure with a corner attached bell tower. The building is a contributing property to the Burnt Corn Historic District that was added to the Alabama Register of Heritage and Landmarks in 1993. It is also included in Alabama’s Tapestry […]

More Info