The first official post office to serve the present city of Demopolis was designated Aigleville (literally translated as Eagle Town), the village of French emigrants. It was located on the southeastern edge of Demopolis. This post office was short lived, existing only from December 22, 1817 to January 16, 1818. The post office reopened December 24, 1819, and has been operational since. The construction of the present post office building was awarded to A. Anderson & Company of St. Louis, MO in 1910 and the building was completed in 1912.
The Demopolis Post Office building is a one-story structure with full basement, containing 7,084 interior square feet. The exterior of the building is constructed with red brick laid in a Flemish Bond style. The front facade contains five arched bays and the three central bays feature arched windows. The roof line is crowned with a vasiform balustrade. The lobby area of the post office has terrazzo flooring with marble base and border, wood wainscot, and plaster walls, ceiling and cornice. The Demopolis Post Office building was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on July 28, 1984 due to its architectural significance.
This building is located in downtown Demopolis at the intersection of Capitol Street and Walnut Avenue (GPS coordinates 32.518575, -87.837800). It is across the street on the north side of the historic Demopolis Public Square which is also listed on the NRHP. The Public Square is one of the oldest in Alabama, established in 1819, and it contains several historic structures.
Sources: 1) wikipedia.org/United States Post Office (Demopolis, Alabama); 2) NSTA “U. S. Post Office – Demopolis, AL 36732” Nomination Form.