The Public Square is a historic park located at downtown Demopolis. It covers one city block, bounded by Main, Capitol, Walnut and Washington Streets. This park is one of the oldest public squares in the state. Demopolis had its beginnings in 1817 with the Vine and Olive Colony and the park was established in 1819. The park contains a pavilion and benches under shade trees for resting and enjoying the scenery. The pavilion was built circa 1886 to cover the town well which was located further west on the Square. The park’s center features a large cast iron fountain dating from 1895. The Square also contains two other historic structures. One is Rooster Hall which was originally constructed as a Presbyterian Church in 1843. The other is the City Hall building portions of which may date back as early as 1820. There is also a Confederate statue located at the intersection of Main and Capitol Streets. The Demopolis Public Square is often used for the city’s festivals, most notably for many are the Christmas on the River events. The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on November 29, 1975.
The slider at the top provides pictures that show features of this historic park.
Sources: 1) NRHP “Public Square” Nomination Form; 2) Demopolis Area Chamber of Commerce.