This historical marker is located beside Highway 28 at Thomaston’s Town Pond. It was erected April 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department and the town of Thomaston. Below is the inscription on the marker:
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF THOMASTON
About 1830, settlers from the Carolinas and Virginia came to this area in search of fertile land. They staked their claims to adjoining plantations adjacent to what became Thomaston. In 1890, Dr. Charles Brooks Thomas bought the plantation where Thomaston is located. He was a man of vision and it was his greatest ambition to convert his land into a thriving town. In 1892, Dr. Thomas was appointed postmaster and the community was named Thomaston in his honor. The Town of Thomaston was incorporated in February, 1901 with a population of 51 people and Dr. Thomas as the first Mayor. The railroad came to town the same year. Dr. Thomas then had the land surveyed and laid out the town. Planters Bank and Trust Company was established in 1914. Telephone service began in 1914 and electricity came in 1929.
In 1949, the town limits were extended and the population jumped to over 1000. With the population growth, the town installed streetlights and the streets were paved and marked. Water and gas systems were installed and a volunteer fire department was organized. Beginning in the 1950’s, a yearly barbeque was held serving “Good Ole Thomaston Barbeque”. The Alabama Rural Heritage Foundation, sponsor of the Pepper Jelly Festival, was established in 1986. The 2000 census showed a population of 383.