This house was built in 1840 for Augustus Foscue, a North Carolina native who owned more than 3,000 acres and 137 slaves in Marengo County by 1850. The original construction date is worked into orange-hued brick on south side chimney. The brown-hued brick addition on the front was added in 1849, requiring removal of two-tiered, columned entrance portico. The present shed-roofed porch was added in the twentieth century by Jesse G. Whitfield, replacing a small 1849 portico. Interior woodwork and wainscoting bear original “faux bois” graining to stimulate bird’s eye maple done by slave, Bob Ashe, who became a well-known carpenter in post-bellum Demopolis.
The Foscue House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on January 21, 1974. The building now serves as the home of a restaurant (see facebook.com/Foscue-House-Restaurant)
The Foscue House is located beside Highway 80 just west of Demopolis (GPS Coordinates 32.485257, -87.867143).
Source: “Foscue House” Historic Marker