The First Presbyterian Church in Demopolis was organized by the Tuscaloosa Presbytery on November 1, 1839 with nine members. The congregation erected a brick church building on the northeast corner of the Demopolis Public Square in 1843. This building was confiscated during the Civil War. During Reconstruction after the Civil War, this building was confiscated by the Union Soldiers and used as the Marengo County Courthouse. This building, now called Rooster Hall, later served as an opera house, city hall, and fire station.
In 1869, the Presbyterian congregation built a wood-frame church at the present location. This church underwent extensive remodeling in 1905 though the original sanctuary was almost completely retained. The church underwent other modifications over the years including steeple modification in 1936, an eastside addition in 1953 and a northside addition in 1989.
The First Presbyterian Church is located on the corner of Strawberry Avenue and Capitol Street near downtown Demopolis (GPS coordinates 32.518611,-87.836167).
CLICK HERE for additional details about historic Rooster Hall.
Sources: 1) First Presbyterian Church Historical Marker (located at church); 2) waymarking.com.