The Asa White house, also known as the White-McGiffert house, was built circa 1838 by Colonel Asa White, one of Greene County’s earliest settlers. Eutaw was established on property owned by Asa White. He conveyed 20 acres to the newly established county seat in 1838 for the building of a courthouse, civic buildings, and a commercial district. He then sold residential lots to individuals.
The Asa White house is transitional between the Federal and Greek Revival styles with complex Federal chimneys and interior trim, yet predominant Greek Revival exterior features. The home has many unusual features such as a two-tiered covered gallery across the front of the house with six doorways to the porches, distinctive millwork, and a dramatic staircase winding to the third floor.
The house was photographed and recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1936. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as a part of the Antebellum Homes in Eutaw TR multiple property submission on April 02, 1982.
This house is located in Eutaw on Mesopotamia Street at the intersection of Mesopotamia and Eutaw Streets (GPS coordinates 32.842905, -87.891625).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1: GreeneCountyHistoricSociety.org/Walk_&_Driving_Guide; 2) NRHP “Antebellum Homes in Eutaw TR/Asa White House” Forms; 3) Wikipedia
B&W photograph courtesy U. S. Library of Congress, Photographer: Alex Bush, Date: October 9, 1936.