Advanced Search

Close Search

“Magnolia on Main” at Eutaw, AL (built ca. 1904)

William Scears owned the plantation home, Glenville, which was located about three miles from town. He built “Magnolia on Main” circa 1904 as a townhouse for his family to make it more convenient for his children attending school. The home was also used for entertaining guests. The façade of this house is Greek Revival style with Ionic columns while the interior is Victorian. The Victorian detail of the home’s interior is especially evident in the stairway ascending from the center hall. It is said that Mrs. Scears designed it with the wedding of her daughters in mind.

This house was later the home of James Coleman who was the editor of the Greene County Democrat for 43 years. The house was restored in the 1970s by Arthur and Margaret Jones.

“Magnolia on Main” is located on Main Street in Eutaw at the intersection of Main Street and Church Avenue  (GPS coordinates 32.84239,-87.893677).

This is a private residence – drive by only.

Source:  Walking and Driving Guide to Historic Eutaw, Alabama, prepared by the Greene County Historical Society

9/6/13

Similar Attractions

Vaughn-Morrow House at Eutaw, AL (built ca. 1841, listed on the NRPH)

This home was built circa 1841 by Iredell P. Vaughan, a tailor, for his new bride, Miss Ann Margaret Steele. It has a raised Creole Cottage style construction. A one-story porch spans the full width of the east and south facades. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 2, 1982 as part of […]

More Info

Webb-Grubbs House at Eutaw, AL (built ca. 1840)

This home was built circa 1840 for William Peter Webb, a lawyer, who came to Eutaw from North Carolina in 1839. The Greek Revival I-house styled building was built by Benjamin D. Gullett.  It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a part of the Antebellum Homes in Eutaw TR multiple property […]

More Info

St. Stephens Episcopal Church at Eutaw, AL (1914)

In 1845, the Anglican minister Rev. John H. Linebaugh organized and taught an Anglican confirmation class in Eutaw. Nine were confirmed in June of 1845 and the small congregation was organized into a parish. The first vestry was elected and appointed the Rev. Linebaugh as the first rector of the parish. In 1848, the church […]

More Info