The Cuba post office existed prior to 1850, with nothing in the present-day area of the town of Cuba, but wilderness. The first man to live in this site was a Mr. R. A. Clay, who moved from Autauga County, AL, with his family and about 100 slaves in 1852, and purchased all the land which later made up the town of Cuba. By 1861, the town was a thriving farming industry and had a sizeable truck-crop enterprise. Also during this time, the Southern Railroad was being built. Clay donated land for the railroad right-of-way, built mainly with slave labor. As the town was settled, the post office became known as Cuba Station. The Town of Cuba was incorporated in 1890 with Dr. A.L. Vaughan as its first Mayor.
In 1870, Mr. Clay sold to Mr. Warner Lewis half of the town and divided it into lots, with two set aside for the building of the Baptist and Methodist churches. Cuba Baptist Church was organized in 1879 and the original building still stands on the spot where it was first built. The Methodist Church was organized about 1884. This church membership dissolved many years ago. The Holiness Church was organized about 1886, the Presbyterian Church about 1906, and the Independent Holiness Church about 1925.
Mrs. Curtis Vaughan was the first person to be buried in Cuba, in 1888. Mr. R.A. Clay, the morning after her death, donated the land for the Cuba Cemetery, which later became Clay Memorial Cemetery in his honor.
This church was built circa 1877 to replace a log building on this site. The sanctuary is the original structure with its hand-hewn timbers that are twelve to fifteen inches wide. It was originally divided by a partition, the height of the pews, sepa …learn more
This church was organized in 1888 and the present building was built in 1900. It is Carpenter Gothic style which was commonly used by rural churches in the South in the 19th Century. This church is located in Cuba on the corner of Fourth Street and R …learn more
This museum contains displays that illustrate life in Cuba from its beginning. Of special interest are photographs of Cuba since 1952. This museum is featured site #22 in the Sumter County, Alabama Historical Points of Interest visitors brochure. The m …learn more
This Vernacular turn-of-the-century style home was built circa 1901. The house features a porch with turned and bracketed supports. This house is featured site #23 in the Sumter County, Alabama Historical Points of Interest visitors brochure. It is loc …learn more
This house was built in 1880 for Dr. H. B. Ward (Oct. 7, 1852 – Dec. 31, 1917). Henry Bascomb (H. B.) Ward graduated from the Medical College at Mobile in 1878, and established his practice in Cuba in 1880. In addition to his physician’s practice, Dr. …learn more
This small cottage was built circa 1880 as a servant’s house. It is located on the south side of Third Avenue approximately 100 yards east of the intersection of Third Avenue and 2nd Street (GPS coordinates 32.428303, -88.374070). This is a private res …learn more
This is a Country Vernacular style home with Greek Revival influences. It was built circa 1900. This house is featured site #33 in the Sumter County, Alabama Historical Points of Interest visitors brochure. It is located on the south side of Third Aven …learn more
This is a one and one half story Victorian style home with an extended porch and gingerbread trim. It was built circa 1890. This house is featured site #34 in the Sumter County, Alabama Historical Points of Interest visitors brochure. It is located in …learn more
This church was was built circa 1906. It is featured site #37 in the Sumter County, Alabama Historical Points of Interest visitors brochure. This church is located in Cuba at the intersection of Fourth Street and Fifth Avenue (GPS coordinates 32.429553 …learn more
The Shaw House was built circa 1900. It is Victorian style with a wrap-around porch and decorative gingerbread trim. This home is located on the west end of Railroad Avenue in Cuba (GPS coordinates 32.427270, -88.380305). This is a private residence – …learn more
This Vernacular turn-of-the-century style home was built circa 1900. The house features a wrap-around porch with turret. This house is located in Cuba on Second Street at the intersection of Second Street and Third Avenue (GPS coordinates 32.427662, – …learn more