The William Perkins House, also known as the Freemount, is a historic Greek Revival style house that was built in the 1850s by William Perkins, a wealthy merchant from Kentucky. The house is a two-story wood framed building on a raised brick foundation. Four monumental Ionic columns span the front portico. It has double parlors divided by double doors, beautiful millwork throughout, and original colored venetian glass side lights flanking the double front doors on the 1st and 2nd levels. Restored in the 1970s, this is one of four surviving antebellum pillared mansions in Eutaw.
The house was recorded by the Historic American Building Survey (HABS) in 1934. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as a part of the Antebellum Homes in Eutaw Thematic Resource on April 2, 1982, due to its architectural significance. It is also listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
This home is located at 89 Spencer Street, Eutaw (Google Maps).
This is a private residence – drive by only. The view of the home is limited by old growth trees located near the house.
Photographs taken October 2012.
Sources: 1) Walking and Driving Guide to Historic Eutaw, Alabama, prepared by the Greene County Historical Society; 2) Wikipedia; 3) GreeneCountyHistoricSociety.org.