The community of West Bend is located in west Clarke County approximately six miles northwest of Coffeeville. This historical marker is beside the West Bend Baptist Church that’s located on CR 31 in West Bend (GPS coordinates 31.823263, -88.131619). The marker was erected by the Clarke County Historical Society in 1984.
Below is the inscription on this historical marker:
Settled 1809-1820 in what was Mississippi Territory. Alabama became a state Dec. 14, 1819.
Early Settlers – Turner – Thornton – Stringer – White – Scruggs – Pace – May.
Turner’s Fort built 1812, located 1 ½ miles N.W.
West Bend Academy est. 1859 and located app. 100 yds. in back of this marker. First Pres. was Rev. T. H. Ball.
West Bend Baptist Church constituted Nov. 1871, built Aug. 1888.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.