One of the oldest Methodist congregations in the area was established at the nearby community of Dayton, AL. Their first church building was constructed in 1819 of logs. The current Dayton Methodist Church building was dedicated in 1851. On March, 11, 1906, Rev. S. W. Roberts, preacher-in-charge of the Dayton circuit called a conference of resident Methodists at the Presbyterian Church for the purpose of organizing a church in Thomaston. Thirteen members enrolled. The Thomaston Methodists congregation met at the Presbyterian Church whenever services were held. In October 1921, the Methodist congregation made the decision to build their own church. The new building was completed on May 12, 1923 and the first service was held in it on May 13, 1923. More than 300 people were present. During 2013, the Thomaston Methodist Church building was totally remodeled, inside and outside, thanks to the generous gift of a private donor.
The Thomaston Methodist Church is a contributing property to the Thomaston Central Historic District which was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on September 14, 2000. The church is located beside Highway 25 near downtown Thomaston (GPS coordinates 32.267948,-87.625178).
Source: 1991-1992 Directory, United Methodist Churches, The Thomaston Charge, Marengo County, Alabama.