Soon after the town of Eutaw was surveyed in 1838 and laid out as the newly established seat of Greene County, John V. Crossland began construction of a two-story courthouse which was completed in 1839. This courthouse was burned in 1868 to destroy indictments brought against local citizens by the Reconstruction Government. Construction of the new courthouse building began in 1868 and it was completed the following year. Surviving walls of the first courthouse were taken down to first-story windowsill level and as much of the materials of the old courthouse were used to build the new building. The original plans were used with the exception of a much taller second level, three-sash windows, and wider, Italianate eaves and brackets.
In 1936, the Greene County Courthouse was photographed and recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on March 24, 1971. The building is also the center of the Greene County Courthouse Square District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 1979. This building is located in the center of the courthouse square at downtown Eutaw (GPS coordinates 32.840587, -87.887530).
B&W photographs provided courtesy of the U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: Alex Bush, date: 1936.
Sources: 1) GreeneCountyHistoricSociety.org; 2) NRHP “Greene County Courthouse” Nomination Form; 3) NRHP “Greene County Courthouse Square District” Nomination Form.