The Thomaston Colored Institute, also known as the Thomaston Academy, is a historic African American school building in the town of Thomaston, AL. This two-story brick building was completed in May 1910 as a private school by an African American religious group, the West Alabama Primitive Baptist Association.
The school served as the only real educational opportunity for the area’s African American population. This building has been abandoned since the 1970s, and has suffered from neglect. It was included on the Alabama Historical Commission’s Places in Peril listing in 2000, the same year that it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This old school building is located in Thomaston, AL on 7th Ave approximately 0.3 mile west of the intersection of 7th Ave. and Hwy 25. (GPS Coordinates: 32.272444,-87.630472).
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.