In 1845, the Anglican minister Rev. John H. Linebaugh organized and taught an Anglican confirmation class in Eutaw. Nine were confirmed in June of 1845 and the small congregation was organized into a parish. The first vestry was elected and appointed the Rev. Linebaugh as the first rector of the parish. In 1848, the church was consecrated by the Bishop of Alabama, the Rt. Rev. Nicholas Hamner Cobb. Ceremonies and consecration activities lasted for three days.
The original church structure burned on the evening of February 14, 1913, following a Lenten service. It was completely destroyed; however, several memorials and furnishings were saved including the pews, the credence table, baptismal font, the walnut eagle lectern, the brass altar cross, the pulpit, the brass hymn board, and processional cross and the original altar. A new building was constructed in 1914. The new church was consecrated by Bishop Charles M. Beckwith in 1916. The items that were saved from the fire are still in use today in the new building.
The St. Stephens Episcopal Church is located at the intersection of Main Street and Eutaw Avenue near downtown Eutaw, AL (GPS coordinates 32.842327,-87.892386)