The Siloam Baptist Church was established in 1822. During the mid-19th century, it was Alabama’s most influential Baptist congregation and one of the strongest denominational centers in the South. The pastor and laymen were leaders in the organization of The Baptist State Convention in 1823, the founding of Judson College in 1838 and Howard College in 1841, and they started the publication of The Alabama Baptist newspaper in 1843. The Alabama Resolutions which were passed at Siloam in 1844 had a significant influence on the formation of the Southern Baptist Convention at Augusta, GA in 1845. The Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention was founded at Siloam in 1845 where its offices remained until 1882. During the mid-19th century the Alabama Baptist Convention met at the Siloam Baptist Church every other year.
The original portion of the church, a good example of temple form Greek Revival architecture, was built 1848-49 and is the third building occupied by the congregation. The Siloam Baptist Church was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1935 and it is a contributing property to the West Marion Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
This church is located at at 505 Washington Street in Marion (32.630808,-87.319280 – Google Maps).
Source: Siloam Baptist Church Historic Marker
B&W photograph courtesy of the U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: Alex Bush, date: April 23, 1935