Rikard’s Mill Historical Park is owned and operated by the Monroe County Heritage Museums. The park is located just north of Beatrice on Flat Creek.
The main feature of the park is Rikard’s Mill which is a water-powered grist mill. Jacob “Jake” Rikard (1806-1880) built his first grist mill at this location in 1845 as a way to supplement his income as a blacksmith. Unfortunately, it was destroyed soon after being built by a flood on Flat Creek. The grist mill was rebuilt and the Rikard family operated it at this location for over a hundred years – until the 1960s. In 1993, the old grist mill and dam were completely restored by descendants of Jake Rikard and it was donated to the Monroe County Heritage Museums (MCHM). Rikard’s Mill was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage (ARLH) on October 7, 1998.
MCHM established the Rikard’s Mill site as a historical park. In addition to Rikard’s Mill, the park now contains a number of other features. These include a mule-driven syrup mill, barn exhibit, blacksmith shop, “pioneer” cabin and a covered bridge gift shop. The MCHM stages activities in the park that are dedicated to the preservation of past folk traditions. These include an annual Syrup-Making Day event each November and Pioneer Days (for School Children).
Rikard’s Mill Historical park is located just north of Beatrice. From Beatrice, travel north approximately 3.9 miles on Hwy 265 to the intersection of Hwy 265 and CR 56. Turn right on Hwy 265 and the entrance to Rikard’s Mill Park is approximately 0.5 mile ahead on the right (GPS coordinates 31.786986, -87.224797).
Source: “Rikard’s Mill” Brochure published by Monroe Heritage Museums
For additional details about this park including contact information, go to MonroeCountyMuseum.org/RikardsMill.