The centerpiece of the Courthouse Square at Eutaw is the old Greene County Courthouse which was built in 1870. Located on the northwest corner of the Courthouse Square is the old “Probate Office”. It was originally constructed in 1856 as a single-storied structure. The second story was added in 1938. The building still has its original flooring of marble squares, solid iron doorway, and window shutters. This office contains records dating from 1818 and newspapers from 1830. This building is a contributing property to the Green County Courthouse Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
Sources: 1) greenecountyhistoricsociety.org; 2) NRHP “Greene County Courthouse Square District” Inventory-Nomination Form; 3) NRHP “Greene County Courthouse” Inventory-Nomination Form.