This home began as a one-room law office that was built and used by Judge William C. Oliver. On December 29, 1859, he sold his office to Gustave Braune, a jeweler. Later, Braume added rooms and the unusual octagon room on the second level. Tradition maintains that the octagon structure was inspired by buildings Braune had seen in his native Saxony. This house was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage (ARLH) on October 12, 1976 and subsequently placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as part of the Antebellum Homes in Eutaw Historic District on April 2, 1982.
This home is located at 242 Prairie Avenue at Eutaw, AL (GPS coordinates 32.83853,-87.887547).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: Walking and Driving Guide to Historic Eutaw, Alabama, prepared by the Greene County Historical Society