Thomaston, like several other towns in our area, began as a railroad town. The Town of Thomaston was incorporated on November 15, 1901, and the railroad was completed through Thomaston on November 21, 1901. The Louisville and Nashville Railroad’s Selma to Myrtlewood Branch through Thomaston was a part of a larger expansion to connect Selma to New Orleans.
Shown is the former L&N Depot at Thomaston. The building was built circa 1900-1901. It is a one-story building with a freight door on the south side and a passenger entry on the west side. In 1991, the depot was moved north from tracks approximately 60 feet to save it from demolition. This building is a contributing property to the Thomaston Central Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 14, 2000. This building is located east of Highway 25 at the railroad crossing in Thomaston (32°15’54.0″N 87°37’29.2″W – Google Maps).
Source: NRHP “Thomaston Central Historic District” Registration Form.