The town of Thomaston, which was founded by Dr. Charles B. Thomas, was incorporated November 15, 1901. In 1907, the Alabama State Legislature voted to set aside money for the establishment of a consolidated, school in each county. Records from 1905 show Dr. Thomas already preparing for such an eventuality by donating land for the establishment of a county school. The town had appointed a Board of Trustees to promote the Thomaston site and oversee the successful completion and operation of the school. After passage of the 1907 legislation, Thomaston began to aggressively campaign to win the school for Marengo County.
In 1908, Dr. Thomas received notice that Thomaston had been chosen as the location for the Marengo County High School (MCHS), an indication of the small town’s determined spirit because the common practice was to locate the schools at the county seat. The building was built and it was dedicated on June 24, 1909. Governor B.B. Comer came to Thomaston for the dedication. In the fall of 1909, classes were held in the new school building. The Marengo County High School served the entire county. Boys and girls from Dixons Mills, Nanafalia, Myrtlewood, Linden and Demopolis came to Thomaston to attend high school. Most of the students boarded in private homes, but some commuted daily by train. The school remained in operation from 1909 until 1979. The Marengo County High School building is a contributing property to the Thomaston Central Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
The MCHS building is located on the west side of Highway 25 approximately 0.3 mile north of the intersection of Highways 25 and 28 (GPS coordinates 32.270874, -87.626268).
Sources: 1) NRHP “Thomaston Central Historic District” Registration Form; 2) , The Heritage of Marengo County, Alabama published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc, Submitted by MCHS Alumni Association (Sources: MCHS records; The Thomaston Post).