This Greek Revival style home was built around 1850 by Dr. Albert Gallatin Mabry, a prominent physician and member of the Alabama legislature. Dr. Mabry was a leader in organizing the Alabama State Medical Association and instrumental in passing legislation which established the State’s first hospital for the insane. This home was the residence during and after the War Between the States of Dr. Mabry’s stepdaughter, Gertrude Tartt Jones, and her husband, Captain Catesby ap Roger Jones, a Confederate naval hero. Captain Jones was in charge of the Confederate Naval Foundry at Selma, but is best remembered for commanding the C.S.S. Virginia (Merrimac) on the second day of her engagement with the U.S.S. Monitor at Hampton Roads, Virginia.
This house was photographed and recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1934. It is a contributing property to Selma’s “Old Town Historic District” that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The Mabry Jones house is located at 629 Tremont Street in Selma (GPS coordinates 32.412789,-87.027166).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) “Mabry Jones House” Historical Marker; 2) NRHP “Old Town Historic District” Registration Form.
B&W photograph courtesy of the U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: W. N. Manning, date: March 18, 1934.