Lyon Hall, also known as the Lyon-Lamar House, is a historic Greek Revival mansion in Demopolis, Alabama. It was built over a period of three years by George Gaines Lyon and his wife, Anne Glover Lyons. The house was completed in 1853. The Lyons traveled to New York City to purchase furnishings for their new home. Lyon descendants lived in the house until the death of George G. Lamar in 1996. The house was donated to the Marengo County Historical Society in May 1997. The Marengo Historical Society uses the home for special events. They also rent it for parties and receptions.
The house is a two-story wooden frame structure, sided with clapboard. The front portico features six two-story square columns, constructed in brick with a stucco finish. The upper balcony spans the entire width of the house and is attached to the columns. The roof is hipped and features a small belvedere at the summit.
Lyon Hall was photographed and recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1934 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1974. This historic home is located at 102 South Main Avenue near downtown Demopolis (32°30’56.8″N 87°50’21.1″W – Google Maps).
Sources: 1) NRHP “Lyon Hall” Nomination Form; 2) The Alabama Catalog, A Guide to the Early Architecture of the State, by Robert Gamble; 3) Wikipedia.
B&W photograghs courtesy U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photograper: W. N. Manning, date: April 3, 1934.