This was the home of John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907), one of Alabama’s most honored political and military leaders. Constructed in 1859 by Thomas R. Wetmore, it was purchased by Morgan in 1865, and served for many years as his principal residence.
Morgan was a leader in the Secession Convention. During the war, he enlisted in the Confederate Army as a private and was promoted through ranks to Brigadier General. A practicing attorney, he was elected to the U. S. Senate in 1876 where he served a 30-year tenure.
The John Tyler Morgan house was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey and added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 27, 1972. It is also a contributing property to Selma’s “Old Town Historic District” that’s listed on the NRHP. The house is currently home of the Alabama Historical Commission’s Old Cahawba Administrative Offices.
This house is located at 719 Tremont Street in Selma (GPS coordinates 32.413758,-87.027595).
The b&w photograph that’s included was provided courtesy the US Library of Congress (Photographer: Alex Bush, Date: March 12, 1935).
Sources: 1) “John Tyler Morgan” Historical Marker; 2) Wikipedia