In 1878, John C. Webb purchased this block of land and house, believed to have been built after 1869. An early photograph shows an Italianate style house. Over the years, this home has been remodeled several times. Today, the house is a mixture of Queen Anne Victorian and Colonial Revival architectural styles. Features of the house include extensive wrap around porches at both first and second levels that have turned and cutwork wooden details. The roof of the house has multiple gables and hip decorative dormers. Interior features of this home include nine large stained-glass windows in bays, decoratively painted ceilings and borders, inlaid floors, hand-painted canvas wall paper, ornately carved stair banister and newel, and double leaded-glass front doors. Located on the east and west sides of the home are formal gardens with boxwoods, perennials and annuals, an ornamental iron fountain in a circular fish pond, and an arched rose and vine arbor. This home is a contributing property to the Demopolis Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on January 10, 2014.
The John C Webb home is located at 306 West Capitol Street in Demopolis (GPS coordinates 32.518611,-87.840639)
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) The Heritage of Marengo County Alabama published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., pages 24-25; 2) NRHP “Demopolis Historic District (Update & Boundary Increase)” Registration Form