This Greek revival mansion was built c. 1855 for William B. King and named “Fairoaks” for the many trees found about the place. King was the nephew of Vice President William Rufus King. Ann B. Wilson, a half-sister of the builder, inherited the house in 1862 and sold it to Judge Franklin W. Siddons.
During the Civil War following the Battle of Selma, the property was occupied by Wilson’s Raiders and used as a hospital for Union soldiers. The Siddons family was allowed to occupy two upstairs rooms at this time. William Pressley Welch purchased the place from the Siddons in 1887 and it remained in his family almost 100 years. In 1980 the house was in a poor state of repair and was acquired by the City of Selma as part of downtown stabilization program. The Alabama Historical Commission provided U.S. Department of the Interior funds which assisted with the City’s purchase and the later restoration. Circle “S” Industries, Inc. purchased the property in April, 1981 and restored the house and its original dependencies. On March 12, 1982 the mansion was officially dedicated as the Henderson House in honor of Ethel Henderson Striplin, a long time Selma resident.
The Henderson House is a contributing property to Selma’s “Old Town Historic District” that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on May 3, 1978. The house is located at the intersection of Union Street and Furniss Avenue in Selma (GPS coordinates 32.411161,-87.029376).
Source: “Fairoaks, Henderson House Historical Marker (located in front of the home.)
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.