The exact date of the founding of the Demopolis Methodist Church is not known. However, the circuit riders of the Marengo Circuit (1826-1840) were active in the area, often preaching in the old log assembly building that stood then in the Public Square in downtown Demopolis.
The Reverend Andrew Jackson Crawford donated the lot for the first church building in 1840. The first building, constructed in 1843, was just a little south of the current church. It prospered and two of its ministers were later elected bishops. The present church building, designed by Philadelphia architect Benjamin D. Price, was constructed during the years of 1895-1897. The Victorian Gothic style has been preserved even in the 1963 renovation of and addition to the building.
This church is located on the corner of E. Decatur Street and S. Strawberry Avenue in Demopolis, AL (First United Methodist Church – Google Maps).
Source: The Heritage of Marengo County, Alabama, prepared by The Marengo County Heritage Book Committee.