Once a gracious turn-of-the-century neighborhood, many of the homes here were close to condemnation when purchased by Circle “S” Industries, Inc. in 1980. In all, 12 Victorian cottages were renovated in the area. Built between 1870 & 1920, the varied architecture includes Italianate, Carpenter Gothic & Greek Revival. The exteriors were authentically restored & the interiors, while adapted to contemporary living, retain many original features. This project has received national acclaim from preservationists and serves as an example of commitment to the protection of the heritage of this country. It received a 1983 Honor Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The homes shown are located on the east side of Union Street between the intersections of Union Street with McLeod Avenue and Furniss Avenue (GPS coordinates 32.411976, -87.029269).
Source: “Fairoaks Square” Historical Marker.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.