This building was built circa 1909 by John Cox Webb, Jr. It opened as the Elks Theater on October 1, 1915. Harry Simon and Tom Nonnenmacher acquired the Elks and gave it a new name, Si-Non, for a February 1, 1916 opening. This theater was originally a silent motion theater with personal appearances by celebrities until 1929 when it began a regular schedule of “talkies.” On the front of the theatre building was a large palladium window. The first floor of the theater had a center row of ten seats and five seats on each side. It also had a balcony with fifty seats. Many theatrical productions were staged here. Famous boxer, Jack Dempsey, and escape artist, Harry Houdini, appeared at the Si-Non. After a management change in January 1931, the Si-Non operated as the Lido Theater for an additional four years. Since its theater days, this building has served as a hay and feed store, A&P Grocery Store, three restaurants, Fred’s Department Store and a propane business. Starting in June 1990, work began to restore this building. The restoration included the re-installation of the original palladium window and latticework, which were discovered on the second floor. The building is now occupied by Attorney William T. Coplin, Jr.
This old landmark is located at downtown Demopolis, AL on the northeast corner of Washington Street and Strawberry Avenue (GPS coordinates 32.517426, -87.836193).
Sources: 1) The Heritage of Marengo County Alabama published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc.; 2) The Demopolis Theater District historical marker (located in front of the Si-Non Theater Building)