Duncan Dew was a well-known planter and business man of Eutaw, AL. He came to Eutaw in 1822 and built this house about 1832. It is L-shaped and has elaborate interior wood trim. The house, at one time, had a two-story portico which was later exchanged for a porch with slender colonettes. That porch was replaced in the mid-1930’s with the present pedimented portico using four octagonal columns removed from a house in Pickens County. Later, low wings were added to the sides of the house.
This home is located beside Mesopotamia Street on the northwest side of Eutaw approximately 0.7 mile from the downtown courthouse square (GPS coordinates 32.845486, -87.897801).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: Walking and Driving Guide to Historic Eutaw, Alabama, prepared by the Greene County Historical Society
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.